Thursday, October 28, 2010

There are so many things you miss about your mom once she is gone, that no one tells you about ahead of time. They aren't fancy things, or big things. They are mundane, everyday things. Like, seeing her name in your contact list on your cellphone. I kept my mom in my contact list for two years after it had been relegated as my daughter's play phone. I only got rid of it after I lost my cellphone, had to get a new one and re-enter (manually) all the numbers I had lost. I still have her e-mail address in my yahoo address book, and every e-mail she ever sent me is archived.

You miss talking to her about what you saw on the news this morning. Talking about the election and how awful the ads are. Her reminding you about the halloween parade 87 times. You miss sharing the latest family news with her and getting caught up on all the latest goings-on in with the relatives you don't see nearly enough. Talking to her about your little brothers, and assuring her that they are probably fine even if they haven't called all week. Coming down the basement stairs at church and finding her listening to music she wants the choir to sing next Sunday. Her corny jokes about how sopranos can't sing and count at the same time. Her letting you always sing the alto part in the duet even though she likes it more than the soprano part.

You miss shopping with her. Stopping at McDonald's to get breakfast and a Dr. Pepper on your way out to the mall with her. Picking out Christmas presents for your dad with her. Picking out presents for her with your dad. Telling you to slow down on 270 while stomping an invisible brake, even though you learned how to drive like a maniac from her. Telling you which exit to take even though you have driven to this mall 872 times by yourself.

You miss so many crazy things, you can't even remember them all when you sit down to. But they will pop up, now and again when you are doing something so boring you can't stand it. And then you will laugh a little, and cry a little, and thank God and pray they never quit popping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment